Lent & Holy Week Schedule
PARISH MISSION - MARCH 4-6, 2018
LENT: GLOOM OR GRACE?
How do we anticipate Lent? Is it a time of gloom of a period of grace? During our Parish Mission, we'll explore these questions through the lens of three virtues: faith, hope, and love. Our mission director is Father Richard Fragomeni, Professor of Liturgy and Teaching and Chair of the Department of Word and Worship at the Catholic Theological Union in Chicago.
FAMILY POTLUCK ON SUNDAY, MARCH 4
Our Parish Mission begins with a family potluck dinner in the school cafeteria at 5:30 PM followed by our mission at 7:00 PM in the church.
For more information: Parish Mission
Understanding Fast & Abstinence
UNDERSTANDING FAST & ABSTINENCE
Fast refers to the amount of food eaten. All Catholics between the ages of 18 and 59 are to fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. This means that only one full meal and two smaller meals are to be eaten on these two days. Solid foods between meals are to be avoided.
Abstinence means that all Catholics over 14 years of age are obligated to abstain from meat on Ash Wednesday and on all the Fridays in Lent.
Exemptions from Lenten fasting - The USCCB website indicates that "those that are excused from fast and abstinence outside the age limits include the physically or mentally ill including individuals suffering from chronic illnesses such as diabetes. Also excluded are pregnant or nursing women. In all cases, common sense should prevail, and ill persons should not further jeopardize their health by fasting."
Readings for Sundays of Lent
February 18 First Sunday of Lent
- Reading 1 GN 9:8-15
- Responsorial Psalm PS 25:4-5, 6-7, 8-9 - R. (cf. 10) Your ways, O Lord, are love and truth to those who keep your covenant.
- Reading 2 1 PT 3:18-22
- Verse Before The Gospel MT 4:4B - One does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes forth from the mouth of God.
- Gospel MK 1:12-15
February 25 Second Sunday of Lent
- Reading 1 GN 22:1-2, 9A, 10-13, 15-18
- Responsorial Psalm PS 116:10, 15, 16-17, 18-19 - R. (116:9) I will walk before the Lord, in the land of the living.
- Reading 2 ROM 8:31B-34
- Verse Before The Gospel CF. MT 17:5 - From the shining cloud the Father's voice is heard: This is my beloved Son, listen to him.
- Gospel MK 9:2-10
March 4 - Year B Third Sunday of Lent
- Reading 1 EX 20:1-17 or EX 20:1-3, 7-8, 12-17
- Responsorial Psalm PS 19:8, 9, 10, 11. - R. (John 6:68c) Lord, you have the words of everlasting life.
- Reading 2 1 COR 1:22-25
- Verse Before The Gospel JN 3:16 - God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might have eternal life.
- Gospel JN 2:13-25
March 11 - Year B Fourth Sunday of Lent
- Reading 1 2 CHR 36:14-16, 19-23
- Responsorial Psalm PS 137:1-2, 3, 4-5, 6. - R. (6ab) Let my tongue be silenced, if I ever forget you!
- Reading 2 EPH 2:4-10
- Verse Before The Gospel JN 3:16 - God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so everyone who believes in him might have eternal life.
- Gospel JN 3:14-21
March 18 - Year B Fifth Sunday of Lent
- Reading 1 JER 31:31-34
- Responsorial Psalm PS 51:3-4, 12-13, 14-15. - R. (12a) Create a clean heart in me, O God.
- Reading 2 HEB 5:7-9
- Verse Before The Gospel JN 12:26 - Whoever serves me must follow me, says the Lord; and where I am, there also will my servant be.
- Gospel JN 12:20-33
March 25 Palm Sunday of the Lord's Passion
- At The Procession With Palms - Gospel MK 11:1-10 or JN 12:12-16
- Responsorial Psalm PS 22:8-9, 17-18, 19-20, 23-24. - R. (2a) My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?
- Reading 2 PHIL 2:6-11
- Verse Before The Gospel PHIL 2:8-9 - Christ became obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Because of this, God greatly exalted him and bestowed on him the name which is above every name.
- Gospel MK 14:1ó15:47
2018 Lenten & Holy Week Schedule
|ASH WEDNESDAY - Day of Fast & Abstinence|
|Wednesday, February 14 - Masses celebrated at 8:30 AM and 7:00 PM|
|DEVOTIONALS Please access: St. Pius X Prayer, Adoration and Devotions|
|SACRAMENT OF PENANCE|
|Saturdays||St. Pius X Church||4:00 PM|
|Also by appointment - Please call the rectory office 614-866-2859.|
|ANOINTING OF THE SICK|
|Saturday, March 10||5:00 PM Mass|
|Sunday, March 11||8:30 AM Mass|
|STATIONS OF THE CROSS|
|Mondays during Lent||All Mondays||9:15 AM|
|Wednesdays during Lent||All Wednesdays||6:30 PM|
|Fridays during Lent||These Fridays: February 16 & 23, March 2, 9 & 23||1:45 PM|
|Living Stations of the Cross on Sunday, March 25 at 6:00 PM|
|FAST, ABSTINENCE & ALMSGIVING|
|St. Pius X Fish Fries||Friday: February 16, March 2, March 23
Sponsored by Knights of Columbus #5253
|CRS Rice Bowl||Donate the cost of a meal weekly to benefit Catholic Relief Services.
There are NO Soup Suppers this Lent.
|Done at home.|
February 15-April 12
|8-week Adult Faith Formation, Oremus: A Guide to Catholic Prayer
This program requires advance registration by 2/5/2018.
|7:00 PM in church|
Beginning February 14
|6-week small-group faith sharing and book discussion: Understanding
the Mass: 100 Questions, 100 Answers by Mike Aquilina
To join a faith sharing group, contact 614-866-2859.
|Various times/locations on campus|
|Sunday, March 25||Palm Sunday||Regular weekend Mass schedule|
|Wednesday, March 28||Tenebrae Service||7:30 PM|
|Holy Thursday, March 29||Mass of the Lord's Supper||7:30 PM|
|Followed by private adoration||Until 10:00 PM|
|Good Friday, March 30||Day of Fast & Abstinence|
|Celebration of the Lord's Passion||2:00 PM|
|Stations of the Cross & Veneration||7;30 PM|
|Holy Saturday, March 31||Men's Ministry: Carry the Cross
||7:30 AM-12:30 PM|
|Holy Saturday, Blessing of Food Baskets, in the church||1:00 PM|
|Easter Vigil, reception following for those received into the Church||8:00 PM|
|Easter Sunday, April 1||Note Change in Mass Times||8:00 AM, 10:00 AM, 12:00 PM|