From the Catechism of the Catholic Church, 1213 - Holy Baptism is the basis of the whole Christian life, the gateway to life in the Spirit (vitae spiritualis ianua),A and the door which gives access to the other sacraments. Through Baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as sons of God; we become members of Christ, are incorporated into the Church and made sharers in her mission: "Baptism is the sacrament of regeneration through water in the word."B
A Cf. Council Of Florence: DS 1314: vitae spiritualis ianua.
B Roman Catechism II,2,5; Cf. Council Of Florence: DS 1314; CIC, cann. 204 § 1; 849; CCEO, can. 675 § 1.
INFANT BAPTISM AT ST. PIUS X CHURCH
Please contact the rectory office at 614-866-2859, Monday-Friday, 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM with any additional questions or concerns you may have regarding Baptism at our parish.
To have your child baptized in the St. Pius X community, you must be a registered member of the parish. Please contact us if you would like to be registered or complete our online registration.
REQUIRED PARENT PREPARATION CLASS
- A Baptism preparation class is offered following the 12:00 noon Mass on the first Sunday of each month, provided two or more families are preparing for the sacrament. The class is approximately 1-1/2 hours long. Both parents are encouraged to attend, but only one is needed. Infants may accompany parents to class, however, it is requested that no other children attend.
- Baptism should take place soon after the parent preparation class is completed. If you do not baptize your child within one year, you must retake the class.
- To register for this class, please call our parish office at 614-866-2859.
Infant baptism is celebrated twice each month:
- During the 12:00 PM Mass on the first Sunday of the month
- Following the 12:00 PM Mass on the third Sunday of the month
- Catechumens who are preparing for full reception into the Catholic Church through the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA) or Rite of Christian Initiation of Children (RCIC) are baptized during the Easter Vigil Mass. Learn more at RCIA/RCIC
Please contact the parish office at 614-866-2859 to schedule your child's Baptism.
One Godparent must be an active and practicing Catholic who is a registered member of a Catholic parish. A letter is required from their parish indicating these facts. The other Godparent may act as a Christian witness.
BAPTISM: OLDER CHILDREN AND ADULTS
Older children are prepared for Baptism through the Rite of Christian Initiation for Children (RCIC) and adults through the Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults (RCIA). Please contact our RCIA coordinator, Sister Maxine Shonk, with your questions about this process at 614-751-8815 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also call the parish office at 614-866-2859.